Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Writing groups

OK. I know I'm a good writer. But when I read one of my pieces aloud to my writers group, I think, "Oh! What was I thinking? What must these other good writers think of me now? Should I be embarrassed?"

Did I mention a writers group? I did. Last fall I was invited to audit a fiction writing class at the local campus. I had taken fiction writing workshop more than 25 years ago. At the conclusion of the class I asked if there was any interest in starting a writers group. YES! 

Well, how cool is that? (Oh, sorry. I recently read that "cool" is a word all persons over age 50 should NEVER use. On the other hand, a writer friend recently told me he perceives my soul to be an adolescent--which he said isn't bad thing.)

The writers group is young but we are helping each other. Now I am learning how my words are perceived--accurate or not accurate) so I can come back home and "fix" the misunderstood parts and strengthen the weak points, eliminate the things that get in the way instead of carrying the story forward.

So, if you're stuck in the writing doldrums, round up some writerly friends and help each other. No one is an island unless they let themselves be. Support is important.

(c) 2013 Cathy Thomas Brownfield ~ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. 

No comments: